Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Mirror and its Reflection

Within every happy reunion lies another's tears of farewell, and sometimes it is impossible to avoid becoming the villains in other people's stories. Recently my inner voice said to me about someone... he is both your friend and your enemy. Everybody is both your friend and your enemy. You choose what you shape them into...

Every word and every action has a 'good' path and a 'bad' path, (for want of a better term)... if it is spoken, if it is done, it is out there in the world and you often have no control over its outcome, only the assurance that this chaotic multiverse has some purpose for it...

The birth of a flower marks the death of a seed... but how do I feel, when I look at those who see only the seed and weep over its cracked, broken exterior? Do I owe anything to the hungry ghosts of yesterday.... do I owe them my guilt for being able to smell the sweet scent of the flower that came after the seed died? Or should I just keep walking forward, cherishing that 'flower' forever in all of my tomorrows and beyond time...? I would love someone to say, it's okay... we're happy, if the flower is happy...

But... yeah, survivor's guilt... such a terrible, terrible thing...

... and there is the temptation to villainize the ones who weep out of an attempt to still my guilt for contributing towards their tears... (even though I never knew where my eternal flower came from, until afterwards, when it was too late) but to see the monstrous in another, is to wake up the monstrous in yourself...

(I understand and accept ~ mothers need fairy tales as much as their children do...)

"She (Death)said everyone knows everything. We just pretend to ourselves we don't... To make it bearable."

- Destruction, from 'Brief Lives', in the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.

No comments:

Post a Comment